Bagettes and Handcrafts are offering a two-day workshop to UJAMAA members only during which we will make the latest Bagettes pattern – LAPEL TOTE. This workshop is suitable for a confident beginner or intermediate/experienced sewer and no previous bag making experience is required. We will talk about bag and lining structure and the role of interfacing, zipper choices, topstitching, bag “birthing” and finishing techniques. We will make and apply two zippered pockets, two slip pockets, ring tabs and a unique two-piece closure. Strap making will be discussed but the finished bag will use webbing.
Workshop can accommodate 10 members.
See examples of the workshop bag on Instagram #lapelcrossbodytote or on
Bagettes Facebook page at Ujamaa Grandmas Bagettes.
1. A hardware kit – 2 swivel hooks, 1 adjustable slider, 2 O-rings or D-rings (you get to choose), two-cord lock, exterior zipper, interior zipper. Pattern proceeds cover the cost of the hardware kit.
2. A fabric kit – exterior fabric, lining fabric, pocket fabric, contrast fabric, closure cording and webbing. All fabrics will be pre-cut and fused. There will be a class fee to cover the cost of the fabric kit.
3. Choice of non-woven accent materials from our stash of leather and vinyl.
4. Loads of additional tips and information for bag making.
Participants must bring:
1. A sewing machine in good working order and be familiar with its use.
2. Universal #12 or #14 needles. Please bring a spare just in case.
3. Your regular sewing foot, a zipper foot and the regular tools for sewing – snips, bobbins, thread in both a light and dark neutral, scissors, measuring device , rotary cutter small cutting guide.
4. LUNCH – bring your own.
5. Pattern must be purchased via ETSY. Workshop participants will be given a link to the site and a discount code after registration. The pattern purchase will cover the cost of the hardware kit. This email will be sent no later than March 15.
6. Prior to the workshop, participants are urged to read the pattern but no other pre-work is required. There will be “homework” to be completed between the two workshop days. This homework will require the participant to supply their own decorative bead or button for the closure.
WHAT: Two-Day Bag Making Workshop
WHEN: March 27 and April 4 from 10:00 AM to 3:30 PM
WHERE: Along Came Quilting, 6432 1A Street SW, Calgary
COST: $7 plus GST to purchase the LAPEL pattern on ETSY. Registrants will receive confirmation, a link to the pattern and a discount code via email prior to the workshop. Pattern proceeds cover the cost of the hardware kit. $15 class fee to cover the cost of the fabric kit. This cost is being subsidized by Handcrafts. If you wish to keep your finished bag there will be an additional fee of $10 to cover the full cost of the supplies. Additional hardware kits will be available for purchase at cost at the end of the workshop.
UJAMAA Members only – REGISTER HERE
Maximum 10 participants. Everyone who signs up will get a confirmation email and link to the pattern and additional details.
QUESTIONS? Just ask at Bagettes@ujamaagrandmas.com.