It is Southern Alberta’s turn to host the Fall Regional Gathering if we want one this year. Some groups thought every other year would be adequate.
We have sent the request for hosts out to all Southern Alberta Groups, suggesting they may want to join forces with another group or groups to do this.
We need to make this decision soon.
The Aeroplan Mile matching week in February raised 2.1 million miles. Congratulations! Of course, you can donate miles at any time.
The GRL annual meeting was in Toronto in February and we are including a few items you should be aware of:
- A reminder that there are Conference Calls for new members or anyone who is interested or has questions on the 3rd Monday of the month at 10:30 a.m. MT. (Unless that Monday is a statutory holiday). These are information-sharing sessions to give new members an opportunity to speak directly with SLF Grandmothers Campaign staff. Those wishing to participate should RSVP to: firstname.lastname@example.org and they will be provided with the conference call phone number and dial-in details. Calls generally last about 1 hr.
- Also, it is now possible to have Regional Conference Calls using the SLF Conference Call Line so keep this in mind if you ever what to plan events with other groups.
- The Grandmothers Campaign Team is proposing to start hosting Thematic Campaign-wide Conference Calls on the 3rd Thursday of the month at 10:30 AM starting in April. These calls will be open to all members and groups as a way to share ideas, best practices, tips and tricks that groups are using successfully. The first two sessions proposed are April 18 which would address “Recruiting and Retaining” and May 16th: “Rejuvenating Members: The Fun, Social and Educational Components of Groups and the Relationships Created Within Groups”.
Do you think these would be helpful to you? The staff would welcome your ideas and thoughts.
Additional themes could include but are not limited to:
- Recruiting and engaging younger women to join group.
- Building community partnerships
- Sponsorship and Grants Start
- Leadership structures within groups
- Using technology: websites, FB and online resources that groups use
Of course, attracting new and younger members and retaining present members is a universal issue which was a big topic at the Toronto Gathering. There will be a compilation of suggestions and ideas related to this topic available on the SLF Campaign website at some point. There will also be an additional Conference Call toward the end of May for treasurers and group chairs framed as a “Treasurers Corner and Financial FAQ”.
Added to the SLF Fundraising page, there is a special section with fundraising suggestions for the “small but mighty” groups which could also be used by larger groups. On our Facebook page please tag your posts with @SLFGrandmothers for wider distribution and please “Like” another groups’ posts if you see that is also helpful to the Campaign.
Alison and Marilyn