Can a group of talented handcrafters use their passion and skills to raise funds for a cause? You bet we can.
It started as an idea in 2005 before the Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign was even established. A small group of talented women began by selling handmade purses and bags at local markets and sending the proceeds to the Stephen Lewis Foundation. In 2006, they held their first stand alone sale – a sell out event.
In 2008, the first BAG, BABIES & BEYOND was held in its current venue, Marda Loop Communities Association, and the rest is a success story. The BB&B sale, held each October, is UJAMAA GRANDMAS’ largest single fund raising event. Handcrafters work all year long with guidance and support from a Handcrafts Committee. Throughout the year, workshops and demos are held, feedback is provided for what sells well and raw materials or kits are provided for many items. While some of the raw material for workshops and kits comes from local business supporters, most comes from the highly successful FABRIC & YARN SALE. There is a synergy that makes both events vital to the overall success of UJAMAA GRANDMAS’ fundraising efforts.
At BB&B customers find member-created, high-quality, handcrafted items for the individual from head to toe, from Baby Lily to Grandpa Joe plus gift items for hostesses and best friends and items for the home.
- Our famous felted, quilted and cloth purses and bags
- Book bags
- Babies’ and children’s items – sweaters, slippers, toys, wall hangings
- Sweaters and vests for adults and teens
- Shawls and shawl pins
- Accessories – hats, scarves, cowls, mittens, socks, slippers, jewelry
- Household items – placemats, cozies, runners, Christmas ornaments, aprons
- Every year sees something new in our product lines
When the doors open, shoppers make a bee line for their favourite section and we try our best to keep it looking good and easy to find. During the sale, Members, identified by their UJAMAA GRANDMAS logo-emblazoned aprons, provide assistance to shoppers, model items, keep displays, props and signs in order and restock as the sale progresses.
History of Fundraising Results – Gross proceeds:
- 2006 – First stand alone sale: $6000
- 2007 – $12,000
- 2008 – First UJAMAA GRANDMAS BB&B sale at Marda Loop. Numbers to come
- 2009 – $22,900
- 2010 – $27,900
- 2011 – $33,800
- 2012 – $34,500
- 2013 – $40,000
- 2014 – $50,500
- 2015 – $44,600
- 2016 – $48,500
2017 BB&B will be on October 20 and 21. Please direct all queries to email@example.com.
Our thanks go to the Marda Loop Communities Association for their support before and during the sale. Since 2012, Sewing World has generously provided the venue for the second Monday monthly gathering and demos. Their ongoing support is invaluable.
In addition to the financial contribution that goes to the Foundation as a result of the sale, we also support the work of local charities by donating a portion of our unsold items. In the past we have been able to significantly impact the following organizations:
- Inn from the Cold – Helping Calgary’s homeless families/Emergency family shelter and temporary emergency shelter program.
- Calgary Urban Project Society (CUPS) – Helping people overcome challenges of poverty and expectant mothers in need of baby items
- Louise Dean School – Schooling program for pregnant and parenting teens.
- Buchanan School and other Inner city schools
- YWCA Sheriff King Home
- Walk-in Closet
- Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter
And of course, we could never do what we do without the support of the FABRIC & YARN Committee working hand-in-hand with HANDCRAFTS Committee.
The 2017 sale will be held on October 20 and 21 at the Marda Loop location. Come see us.